March 13, 2014. Agilent Technologies Inc. has announced that its FieldFox handheld combination analyzers offer an easier, more cost-effective solution than bench-top instruments, with the accuracy and functionality required for performing precision radar system performance validation, including maintenance and repair in the field.
FieldFox analyzers have a proven track record of reducing cost-of-test while also increasing the uptime of mission-critical systems—critical capabilities for modern radar systems. Such systems are typically classified as ground-based, airborne, ship-based, or space-borne and have numerous applications, including civilian air-traffic control, meteorology, traffic enforcement and military.
Civil air-traffic control radar systems comprise numerous line replaceable units (LRUs) and have been in place for decades around the world. To maintain these complex mission-critical systems, maintainers have traditionally been forced to use bench-top equipment, frequently beyond its normal support life. Until now, using expensive, high-performance equipment was the only way to ensure accurate and repeatable radar measurements.
“FieldFox analyzers, with their accuracy, ruggedness and wide range of functionality, represent a breakthrough for systems as complex as radar,” said Dan Dunn, general manager of Agilent’s RF handhelds. “The FieldFox combination handheld analyzers, with their all-in-one capability, give radar maintainers the capabilities they need to perform precision radar measurements on complex mission-critical systems in even the most difficult test environments.”
The easier, more cost-effective FieldFox combination analyzer solution for radar system performance validation includes
- An all-in-one combination analyzer that functions as a basic cable and antenna analyzer with spectrum and vector network analysis capabilities.
- A built-in power meter and vector voltmeter.
- LRU-level measurements, including a full pulse analysis capability to 40 GHz using the U2022XA Peak Power Sensor, and relative timing measurement of transmitter main to auxiliary pulses.
- Support for Stable Local Oscillator phase alignment via vector voltmeter mode.
- Compliance with IEC/EN 60529 IP53 requirements for protection from dust and water.
- Compliance with U.S. MIL-PRF-28800F Class 2 requirements.
The Agilent FieldFox combination analyzers deliver bench-top-instrument accuracy in field-test environments. This performance, coupled with their ability to operate in harsh conditions and hard-to-reach locations, allows radar maintainers to use them for all their radar ground station installation and maintenance measurement needs.
Agilent’s FieldFox combination analyzers are now available starting at $10,795. A fully optioned FieldFox analyzer configured and optimized for radar testing in the field is approximately $24,500.